The Fabulous Sinead O'Connor

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Video: Sinead O'Connor 'The Wolf is Getting Married' (lyrics)

'The Wolf is Getting Married' is the first single off of Sinead O'Connor's 2012 album How About I be Me (and you be you)? According to O'Connor, the song was inspired by a taxi-ride she took on a gloomy day. A Muslim cabby uttered the phrase "The Wolf is Getting Married" to describe a break of sunlight peeking through the clouds. O'Connor never forgot the incident nor the saying, and used it as the preface for the song.

Just as a ray of light shining through the clouds on a darkened day, The Wolf is Getting Married is an inspiring song that reminds us that is the simple things that bring joy and happiness in life.

The lyrics "Your smile makes me smile, Your laugh makes me laugh, Your joy gives me joy, and Your hope gives me hope" point to how in the darkest, saddest times in our lives, it is often the love we see in others that reflects back in our own lives.

Sometimes the easiest and only way to overcome the dark days of life is to focus on those whom bring joy to us. It's those relationships that help get us through.

Another aspect of this song that I love is that it is an awesome metaphor for depression. Not only is the darkened sky symbolic of depressed times in our lives, but the "crying wolf" is symbolic of rain and tears. The song really speaks to overcoming depression through the joy found in relationships with those whom we love and who inspire us, simply by their smiles and laughter.

As a mother, I often find the most effective way to overcome depression and get my focus back on track is by looking in the eyes of my children.

As a woman of faith, I find strength in God's joy. I have hope because God IS hope. God turns our mourning into dancing and trades our sorrows for joy.

No matter where we are in life, no matter what we are going through or how dark or bleak we may feel our present circumstances are- the wolf is getting married--joy is on the horizon and the sun is peeping through the clouds...

and he'll never cry again.




“The Wolf Is Getting Married”

Written by Sinéad O'Connor/Marco Pirroni/Chris Constantinou/A. B. O'Neill

I used to have no wolves around me.
I was too free, if that's possible to be.
No safety is what I mean,
No solid foundation to keep me,

But the sun's peeping out of the sky
Where it used to be only grey.
The wolf is getting married,
And he'll never cry again.

Your smile makes me smile,
Your laugh makes me laugh,
Your joy gives me joy,
Your hope gives me hope,

And the sun's peeping out of the sky
Where it used to be only grey.
The wolf is getting married,
And he'll never cry again,
He'll never cry again.

Even when something terrible is happening,
You laugh and that's the thing I love about you.
Even when something terrible is happening,
You laugh and that's the thing I love about you most, yeah.

Your smile  makes me smile,
Your hope, gives me hope,

And the sun's peeping out of the sky
Where it used to be only grey.
The wolf is getting married,
And he'll never cry again.



The Wolf is Getting Married Album Version


The Wolf is Getting Married Live on The Graham Norton Show


The Wolf is Getting Married Live at The Olympia Theater in Dublin, Ireland (my favorite version)

No comments:

Post a Comment