The Fabulous Sinead O'Connor

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Videos: Sinead O'Connor Am I Not Your Girl

Am I Not Your Girl is one of my favorite CDs by Irish singer, Sinead O'Connor. The album is the third studio album for O'Connor and was released following The Lion and the Cobra and I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got. Neither a pop or alternative album, Am I Not Your Girl focuses on Broadway hits and classic love tunes with a big band style, the album was met with mixed reviews. Some who expected O'Connor to follow up her Nothing Compares 2 U success with a similar type of song were disappointed. Others who appreciated the versatility, breathy vocals, and smooth stylings of O'Connor welcomed the album with open arms.

In my opinion, the CD is one of O'Connor's best and only proves the true diva that O'Connor truly is. If there was anyone who could sing you a phone book and make you feel it, O'Connor is that singer. Am I Not Your Girl is an emotionally drenched presentation of some of the most famous songs ever written.

You'll hear a mixture of Marilyn Monore and Barbra Streisand in O'Connors whispery vocals and each song will transport you to a 50s jazz club.

If O'Connor had released the jazz- driven Am I Not Your Girl as her debut CD, there is no doubt she would have won critical acclaim. The only trouble I see with the album, is that it was so far from her previous CDs, her fans didn't know how to handle it. O'Connor's version of Don't Cry for Me Argentina is a far stretch from the punk/alternative vocals beloved by fans on Troy that many simply didn't know how to react to the CD.

For those willing to open their tastes to appreciate all that O'Connor offers, however, the CD does not disappoint and is simply brilliant.


1Why Don't You Do Right?2:30
2Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered6:15
3Secret Love2:57
4Black Coffee3:21
5Success Has Made a Failure of Our Home4:26
6Don't Cry for Me Argentina5:34
7I Want to Be Loved by You2:46
8Gloomy Sunday3:56
9Love Letters3:07
10How Insensitive3:27
11Scarlet Ribbons4:14
12Don't Cry for Me Argentina (instrumental)5:11



No comments:

Post a Comment